Fresno Bee Newsroom Blog

Help at a time when you need it

In the category of things to know when bad things happen: Many homeowner insurance policies cover expenses, such as hotels and meals, when people are ordered to leave their homes during mandatory evacuations.

In light of the Springs Fire in Ventura County and the Summit Fire in Riverside County, state Commissioner Dave Jones said in a news release today that “families are already fearful of losing everything they own, they should not worry about paying for hotels, meals and other incidentals.” Many homeowners’ insurance policies cover the additional living expenses, he said.

Policyholders should check to see if their insurance policies include (ALE) additional living expenses due to mandatory evacuations, Jones said.

ALE typically includes coverage for extra food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage costs, telephone installation and extra transportation expenses to and from school or work, Jones said.

He also reminded Californians to be prepared for wildfires.
1. Make sure your insurance policies are up to date and you have copies in two alternate locations.
2. Conduct a home inventory that collects photos, has detailed descriptions and is easily updated.
3. Have a defensible space of 100 feet around your home.

For more information, check out the California Department of Insurance Web site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *